Join Professional and Scientific Council!
Engaged. Thoughtful. Resourceful. Does this sound like you?
Would you like to have a voice in the decisions, events, and activities that make Iowa State the best it can be for over 3,500 of your fellow Professional and Scientific employees? Then we need YOU on Professional and Scientific Council!
As Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert has said, "Councilors develop knowledge that is used to educate fellow employees, and encourage collaboration between departments through their new connections. This communication, collaboration and sharing of information benefits the entire university."
But there’s more! In addition to serving your campus community and fellow P&S employees, Professional and Scientific Council also provides valuable opportunities for employee growth. As a councilor, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- network with P&S employees from all across campus
- interact with senior leadership during our monthly meetings
- engage in meaningful work for the betterment of council on behalf of P&S employees
- gain leadership experience
Council provides many opportunities for P&S employees to gain insight and knowledge and be rewarded for a job well done through:
- The annual Professional Development Conference
- Our monthly Seminar Series events
- The annual CYtation Awards
- The Highlighting ISU Staff feature in our monthly newsletter
Professional and Scientific Council is well-supported throughout campus and is endorsed by our senior leadership.
Letter of Support from Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert
Letter of Support from Vice President for University Human Resources Kristi Darr
Video in support of council involvement from President Wendy Wintersteen
Give council a “test run!”
Council holds its election of councilors each March, with nominatons opening in February. But you don’t have to wait until then! You can see what P&S Council is all about right now in two different ways:
Sign up to be a councilor substitute. We maintain a list of Professional and Scientific employees willing to sit in on council general meetings when regular councilors cannot attend. You'll sit among councilors at the general meeting, be able to engage in meeting topics and discussion and vote on motions and other business. If you’d like to learn more about this option contact our Representation Committee at email@example.com.
- Visit a council general meeting. Our monthly meetings are open to all Professional and Scientific employees and can be a great first step in seeing what council is all about. You'll see council in action, listen to discussion of topics and be part of the audience for live presentations by meeting guests and councilors.