Professional and Scientific Council CYtation Awards
Iowa State University is a great institution because of the talented and dedicated people who work here and make a real commitment to excellence. These awards were designed to recognize the dedicated Professional & Scientific employees, particularly those who might not otherwise receive recognition for outstanding work. The Professional & Scientific Council believes that an employee who goes above and beyond their normal responsibilities, does something extraordinarily well, and acts in such a way as to make a very real difference in the institution deserves to be recognized.
Nominations for 2022 are closed.
The individual must be a P&S employee and must meet the following criteria:
- Performing above and beyond their normal responsibilites, doing something extraordinarily well, and acting in such a way as to make a very real difference in the institution.
- The nomination needs to be for work done within the past two years (from date of submission).
- This is an individual award, not intended as a group award.
- 11-16 awards given annually
Woodin CYtation Award
This award is selected from CYtation Award nominations that meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrates a record of exemplary service to Professional and Scientific Council and/or P&S Employees.
- Demonstrates willingness to go above and beyond.
- Displays a great attitude, a true compassion for others, and treats everyone with respect.
- Demonstrates leadership, innovation, and initiative
- One award given annually
Outstanding New P&S Councilor CYtation Award
As of the nomination deadline, the individual must be a Professional and Scientific Council member newly elected or newly appointed within 18 months of the beginning of their first term. In addition, the individual must meet the following criteria:
- Has established a pattern of reliability and responsibility while making a notable difference
- Fosters cooperation and has strong interpersonal partnerships with fellow Professional and Scientific Council members
- Exhibits potential for future contributions to Iowa State University
- One award given annually
CYtation Team Award
The team must include P&S employees as a majority and must meet the following criteria:
- Performing above and beyond their normal responsibilities, doing something extraordinarily well, and acting in such a way as to make a very real difference in the institution.
- The nomination needs to be for work done within the past year (from date of submission).
- This is intended as an award for a group of 2 or more members.
- 3-5 awards given annually.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can submit a nomination for a CYtation award?
Any employee of Iowa State University can nominate a P&S employee for a CYtation award. Nominations can be submitted by an individual, program, or unit. If several colleagues want to nominate the same individual or team, please work together to submit one nomination.
How do I submit a nomination?
Use this Smartsheet form to submit your nomination. Nominations require basic identifying information and a 1-2 page letter that clearly explains how the nominee has met the award criteria. Successful nomination letters are carefully edited and well-written and include specific examples. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
When can I submit a nomination?
Nominations open in October.
When are nominations due?
Nominations must be received by 11:59 pm, December 1.
When will I be notified on the outcome of my nomination?
The awards committee carefully evaluates and scores the nominations and meets to discuss the selection of our awardees. This process takes time and can be delayed by the winter holidays. Typically, notifications are sent to nominators by mid-February.
How will I be notified on the outcome of my nomination?
If the nomination is selected to receive an award, both the nominee and nominator will be notified by email.
If not selected, the nominator will be notified by email and is free to share that notification with the nominee. Since the committee does not know if the nominee is aware of their nomination, we do not contact the nominee.
What happens if a nominee is awarded a CYtation Award?
The nominator and awardee will be notified of the award by email and invited to attend the Professional and Scientific Council CYtation Awards Ceremony. A breakfast buffet is provided before the ceremony. The Iowa State University provost, or designee, will present the awardee with a certificate of recognition at the event, which takes place annually (typically in March). Additional announcements may appear in Inside Iowa State, the Professional and Scientific Council newsletter, or other Iowa State publications.
What is the the Woodin CYtation Award?
This award is selected from the CYtation Award nominations that meet the Woodin Award criteria.
Dan Woodin passed away September 2013 after over a year-long battle with cancer. The Professional and Scientific Council honors his legacy here at Iowa State University with the Woodin CYtation Award.
Dan was an information systems leader at Iowa State University and a P&S employee of 36 years. Dan served as Professional and Scientific Council president an unprecedented four terms. He was also an Ames school board member who was known for his upbeat attitude. Dan believed in action and doing what needed to be done and not just sitting on the sidelines. He made a difference and lived by the following statement: “live in today, taking advantage of daily opportunities that will come your way, and live each day with integrity.”
Questions? Contact the Professional and Scientific Council Awards Committee: email@example.com
View past Professional & Scientific Council CYtation Award Winners